Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saying Good-Bye to the Elders

Before we left for Utah Elder Nguyen and Elder Williams came by to say good bye and get a photo with us.

I never knew what kind of Elder it would take for my parents to stop and listen to the missionaries, I knew they would have to be patient, I knew they would have to be understanding and I knew they would have to have a good sense of humor.  And on top of that would have to be slip ting at the seams with information and answers to their never-ending questions.  However, after meeting these Elders I knew that Heavenly Father picked Elder Nguyen and Elder Williams just for my parents.

So here's the story - at Christmas time Sam and I went with Ken and Debbie to Temple Square to see the Christmas lights.  And after a tour the Sister Missionaries asked us for a referral; We all looked at one another and shrugged our shoulders when Sam says to me "Who should I put?" and I reminded him the only none members I knew were my parents.  Sam arranged for the missionaries to mail a copy of 'Joy to the World to my parents for the Christmas holiday.

A few months went by when my mom asked me if Micah could come out the weekend of May 13th-15th and when I asked why she told me that her and my dad were being baptized and would like Micah to perform the baptism.  I was shocked - no more like I was beyond shocked - I think I was about to have a heart-attack!!  We made plans to come out the first weekend in June and the baptism would be scheduled for the next day.

One night after the Elders came over for dinner Micah and I gave the Elders a ride home - this was our chance to ask what they did or said that got them in the front door.  Elder Nguyen explained that they were coming to the house for the last time when my mom opened the door and invited them in to visit.  And the rest is history . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment